24.3.18

Little Things I'm Doing to Grow My Confidence



Having confidence in myself is a huge struggle for me. I always seem to be one who thinks down on themselves, well as I got older at least. As a child I was so happy and had no care in the world what I looked like. I didn't have to worry about doing my makeup every morning, wearing the perfect outfit or making sure my hair looked nice. All I really was worried about was if my mom packed me good snacks for lunch or what I what game I was going to play on the playground at recess. As I got into my pre teen or teenage years, around maybe age 12 or so I started thinking and caring more what I looked like on the outside and began comparing myself to all my friends. This lead me into a huge dark stage in my life, but I'll save that story for another time. Ever since then I've never really gotten to a place in my life where I feel confident or really love myself and the way I look. Whether we're talking about my body, my face, my hair or my clothes I always get insecure. I'm really trying to push away all those insecurities and really get to a place where I'll love myself for me, and really not care about the outward appearance anymore. It's going to be a long journey but I'm trying to start. Recently I've been doing a few things here and there that are helping me grow in my confidence and I really wanted to share those things with you guys today.

Wearing Less Makeup

It was around age 11 or 12 when I started having a interest in makeup. Honestly I didn't really wear it outside of my house, I would just buy it all and play with it at home. To think my 12 year old self was dropping $50 on a makeup palette to play with at home still blows my mind. But I've grown from then. Though I had a huge interest in makeup from Youtube videos I only actually wore it out of the house when I got to the age of 14. I started wearing concealer and mascara only, and to this day that's all I still wear. But the thing is, I can't go without it. Even though it seems like barely any makeup, it makes a difference for me in how I look. I have dark marks around my mouth from eczema I had and they are my biggest insecurity. If I don't put concealer over them I feel so ugly. The only people I really go without makeup around is my family members and my 2 closest friends. If anyone is around  I will be in a constant state of paranoia of how I look. I mean I can go out in public out and about with no makeup when running errands, but if I see anyone I actually do know that's when my worry kicks in. It's honestly sad to me. I wish I never started wearing makeup in the first place. I love makeup, don't get me wrong. It's such an art form and I have so much respect for people with such a talent in makeup, but it's made me feel less of myself if I'm not wearing it. Because of this I thought that I should start taking baby steps back from the makeup I'm wearing. Maybe I can't go barefaced around people, but I may be able to go without as much product. So lately all I've been going for is concealer and translucent powder. No mascara! I just apply some concealer underneath the eyes to cover those bags and around my mouth to cover my dark marks. I then set with a little translucent powder and setting spray, then finish off with some vaseline and I'm on my way. To be honest I've felt more confident doing this now then I did when I had worn mascara before. It's crazy how such a little step back can make the biggest change. I feel confident when I look in the mirror and the fact that I'm not wearing mascara and I still feel pretty makes me feel even more confident in myself. If your struggling to wear no makeup in public I encourage you to take the same steps I'm taking. Maybe you always wear full coverage foundation, then you can try just using concealer and powder. Possibly you need to have a winged liner on when you go out, try just a little mascara. Baby steps I'm telling you!


Buns and Ponytails

For the past year and a half or so I've been going natural for my hair. As I've mentioned before I used to straighten my hair everyday before then for 3 years. My hair is naturally curly/wavy and 100% frizzy. The frizz does make me a bit insecure when going out so a way I've been combating that is to put it up. I always tend to just throw it up in a ponytail or recently I've been twisting it into a bun. Getting my hair up and out of my face has made a huge difference for me, not because I hate the way my hair looks, but because having that feeling where I can just wake up and quickly twist it into a bun has taken a stress off my shoulders. I'm not worrying about having to do my hair and wash it all the time to revamp the curls. I've felt a sense of confidence because I'm just not caring as much what my hair looks like. I feel good enough in a messy bun to go out and about and that makes me feel great. I feel like a kid again because I'm waking up with less worry. I think just having a mind set where you don't care what your looking like helps me be more confident in my appearance. Even if I might be looking more crusty. I think you need to be try comfortable with the authentic you before you should start striving to feel comfort in the all dolled up you.


Do you have any tips on growing your confidence?





Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I love the feedback!

Jay Olivia © . Design by FCD.